To some degree, I’ve always found some comfort in inspirational quotes. Not necessarily by artists, photographers or famous personalities but simple sentences found in books, articles etc….
It is surprising the amount of these quotes I have written in notebooks, pieces of papers or on my phone.
Here are a few favourites:
- “People think dreams aren’t real because they aren’t made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real, but they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes” – Neil Gaiman
- “A photographer’s work is given shape and style by his personal vision. It is not simply technique, but the way he looks at life and the world around him” – Pete Turner
- “To create on’s world in any of the arts takes courage” – Georgia O’Keefe
- “Seek wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it out also in simple stones, and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the whisperings of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are preserved” – Scott Cunningham
- “I love you without knowing how, or when or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close” – Pablo Neruda
- “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live” – Leo F. Buscaglia
- “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience” – Victoria Holt
- “The first and best victory is to conquer self” – Plato
- “In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality.” – Alfred Stieglitz
- “Photography for me is not looking, it’s feeling. If you can’t feel what you’re looking at, then you’re never going to get others to feel anything when they look at your pictures.” – Don McCullin
What are your favourite quotes? Not just the quote that you like but the quotes that have stuck with you and you remember on a regular basis?